Paper Topic: A Comparative Analysis of Two Communities, Their Conflicts and Their Strategies for Conflict Resolution: Clifton or Morenci and Woburn
1) Describe each community in terms of its main demographic features*, its type of government, a brief description of its economy, and a description of its location. * To answer this question, you will have to use U.S. Census data and other primary sources. To satisfy the requirement concerning the demographics of each community, you need provide only four features. You should confine your description of the above features to the time period in each community in which the conflict and an attempted resolution occurred. To elaborate, for the time period in Clifton or Morenci, use Kingsolver?s definition of the time period in Holding the Line. For the time period in the Woburn study, use Phil Brown?s definition of the time period in his article, ?Popular Epidemiology and Toxic Waste Contamination?.
2) Describe two main causes of the conflict in each community.
3) Describe and explain a major effect( positive or negative) the conflict had on two important ( either individual or institutional) stakeholders in each community.
4) Describe the conflict resolution strategies that each community used.
5a) With respect to the conflict and its resolution in each community, state one significant similarity.
5b) With respect to the conflict and its resolution in each community, state one significant difference.
6) Which community was more successful and why? State two reasons in support of your answer. Provide an example in support of each reason.
7) What were the two most effective components of the conflict resolution strategy adopted by each community? Select two components of the conflict resolution strategy that each community used and explain why each component was effective in achieving the community?s goal.
8) Describe and explain a major mistake that each community made in resolving its conflict.
9) Your analysis of each community?s conflict and conflict resolution strategy could have been more persuasive if each author had included two useful pieces of data or information. Describe the two most important omissions of data or information by Kingsolver. Explain why their omission weakened Kingsolver?s analysis of the mining strike. Describe the two most important omissions of data or information by Brown. Explain why their omission weakened Brown?s analysis of the epidemiological study of childhood leukemia undertaken by the grassroots community organization in Woburn.
Paper Length: The length of your paper should be at least twelve pages.