Graduate nursing education advances innovation and strengthens the leadership needed to improve healthcare delivery. Education at this level incorporates the foundational knowledge, skills, and competencies needed to thrive in increasingly complex clinical environments. Nursing education is undergoing major change as the profession conceptualizes master’s education and transitions advanced practice education to the doctoral level via Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) programs. Calls to reduce healthcare costs, persistent concerns about patient safety and the quality of care, and dramatic increases in diagnostic, therapeutic, and educational technologies all demand new thinking around the nature of graduate nursing education.
—American Association of Colleges in Nursing
Though the above quote focuses specifically on graduate nursing education, Schools of Nursing around the United States are adapting both undergraduate and graduate programs to emphasize a stronger focus on evidence-based nursing competencies. At the departmental level, this process takes much time and collaboration. Curriculum teams comprised of nurse educators, field experts, and instructional design professionals meet with schools of nursing to revamp existing curriculum plans to the competencies needed of today’s and tomorrow’s nursing students.
On a smaller scale, nurse educators are also implementing quick and effective strategies to align their current courses to evolving nursing competencies. By critiquing lessons before, during, and after instruction, nurse educators are able to assess their alignment to competency sets.
In this Discussion, you critique one of your own Lesson Plans to a competency set of your choosing.
Questions to be addressed in my paper:
1. A brief description of your lesson (Pulmonary Edema) and the competency set (patient-centered care, evidence-based practice and quality improvement) that you selected.
2. Explain how your lesson engaged learners in one or more competencies.
3. Explain whether your lesson should be modified to include a deeper understanding of these competencies and why.
4. Support your response by including references to your lesson, your own experiences, and this week’s Learning Resources.
1. At least 2 pages
2. Put citation and references 2011-2016.
3. Check my uploaded pulmonary edema lesson plan.