Assignment guidelines: Submit by the due date (Sunday of Week 3)
Length: No more than 6 pages, double spaced, not including the cover and reference pages.
Format – Follow APA format/Graduate Program standards.
References –All references that are used in the assignment must be cited correctly in the text of your paper. If you are using nursing journals in addition to the course texts, documents, articles and websites, they must come from major academic journals, such as those that are “peer reviewed” in (MEDICINE,NURSING) CINAHL Plus, Medline and ProQuest electronic databases.
Steps to follows:
1. Complete all of the required readings up to and including this week.
2. Think of a nursing leader from your nursing career who you admire and who you considered to be a “good” leader.
3. Once you have selected your nursing leader, answer the following questions in paragraph format. Be specific in your answers, using your book to help guide your answers.
4. Reflect on what you have written. Assess your own leadership qualities and attributes. Think about which leadership domain you aspire to work in and what leadership model you would most likely follow. What leadership definition closely characterizes your leadership style (or the style you aspire to achieve)? Evaluate how you respect cultural diversity. How do you handle controversy in your current work situation? How well do you collaborate with other nurses, physicians and other healthcare workers in your work area?
5. Write up your personal, leadership assessment findings as this is the final page of your writing assignment. You may use the word “I” as this is your personal leadership statement.
I urge you to keep your paper and save it so that you can look back at what you have written years from now and see how closely you have come to achieve your early leadership aspirations.
6. If you use other references in addition to the text, please include them in your citations in the written section of the paper as well as in the reference page.
Quality of Content (80 Points)
___/5points: Selected an appropriate nurse as the “nurse leader” for the assignment.
___/22.5 points: Answered the assignment questions correctly, thoroughly and clearly demonstrates understanding of leadership domain (5 points), leadership qualities and characteristices, as compared to those as described in the text, (7.5 points), the definition of leadership (5 points), and the leadership model (5 points).
___/5.5 points: Detailed clearly and thoroughly how nursing leader demonstrated respect for cultural diversity and supported answer(s) with examples)
___/5.5 points: Identified completely how the nursing leader handled controversy in the work setting and supported answer with examples.
___/5.5points: Described clearly and thoroughly how the nursing leader help to increase collaboration between the nursing staff, between the nursing staff and physicians, and other healthcare workers in the unit. Gave examples to support the answer.
___/36 points: Reflection written piece includes a self assessment of student’s leadership qualities and attributes (6pts). Student included the leadership domain that he/she aspires to work in (5pts) and identified what leadership model he/she would most likely follow (5pts). Described the leadership definition that closely characterizes his/her leadership style (or the style student aspires to achieve) (5pts) and described how he/she respects cultural diversity (5pts). Student details how he/she handles controversy in his/her current work situation (5pts). Details how he/she collaborates with other nurses, physicians and other healthcare workers in his/her work area (5pts). Supports all answers with examples.
Quality of writing (20 Points)
___/5: Format – Text meets APA standards for the MSN, FNP program
___/5: Organization – Organization of paper demonstrates student’s ability to follow instructions and think critically.
___/5: Precision – Student uses correct terminology and writes clearly and concisely
___/5: Mechanics – Student spells, constructs sentences, and punctuates correctly